Customs Legislation of Russian Federation is one of the most complicated and unstable branches of Russian Law. The characteristic feature of normative regulation in the field of Customs is the fact that at Customs clearance great deal of details are regulated by numerous orders and instructions of the Federal customs service rather than by Law. Such state of affairs presents problems to participants of foreign economic activities, which cannot orientate themselves in huge content of standard acts, foresee all of nuisances, which could appear in process of Customs clearance and, as a result often suffer losses instead of getting profits from foreign economic activities.
As a result of this a necessity to turn to professionals, who permanently follow all the changes of the effective legislation, is defensible when dealing with foreign economic activities. Money, spent on qualified consultant assistance, could further save much more.
But where is it possible to turn for the assistance?
Russian customs legislation entrusts Customs Bodies with Customs problems consulting. The way they fulfill the task least of all satisfies participants of foreign economic activities because of following reasons:
- formal attitude to consultations from the side of Customs officials due to the lack of personal interested motives (consultation fees are paid to Federal Budget);
- insufficient qualification of the Customs information service stuff;
- narrow approach to consulting - only quotations from standard acts on Customs legislation are granted, without taking into account all of the aspects of the problem (logistics, currency and taxation legislation, obtaining of licenses, certificates etc.)
Many Customs brokers - mediators between Customs and importers/exporters, declare granting of Customs consulting services. However, when turning to broker for consulting, it is necessary to take into account, that there are several aspects in any Customs broker activities having negative influence on quality consulting:
- inflexible Customs clearance schemes, connected with specific Customs-houses;
- experience in work with limited range of goods;
- intention to persuade clients to use his Customs clearance service.
A range of legal companies also practice consulting services on Customs legislation. As rule, a quality of such consulting is not high enough, due to the following reasons:
- Customs consulting as a rule is fulfilled by single consultant, who could not be equally qualified in all of the Customs problems;
- consulting is mainly oriented to legislation as a result of absence of practical experience in Customs problems solution.
Taking into account the abovementioned circumstances it becomes clear that special Customs consulting organization, founded for the purpose, should have evident advantages:
- personal approach to each client;
- knowledge of wide range of problems and presence of practical experience in Customs problems solution;
- examination of problem, taking into account all of the aspects;
- endeavor to find new, specific solutions, aimed at client's maximal profits ;
- objectivity and independence of consulting due to absence of obtaining money interest from participation in Customs clearance.
Unfortunately at the present time there is lack of special organizations dealing with consulting on Customs problems. Our aim is to change the situation for the better.